2019 IBS Doctoral Dissertation award:
The Doctoral Dissertation award was created by the International Biogeography Society in 2013, to recognize outstanding work done by students and recent PhD graduates. It aims to recognize and promote innovative dissertation work that brings together diverse fields of study, and in so doing, is likely to make major contributions to the field of Biogeography.
The International Biogeography Society Doctoral Dissertation winner will be invited to give a plenary talk, and will be presented with a certificate and travel funds to attend the 2019 IBS Biennial Conference in Málaga, Spain.
Early Career Biogeographers are eligible if they plan to complete their PhD this year or if they have completed their PhD within the past two years. Candidates may request an extension of time since completion of their PhD (up to 2 years) for consideration of life circumstances (e.g., care of a child or other family member, health-related issues, etc.).
- Submission deadline: August 1, 2018
- Decisions announced: September 16, 2018
- Award Presentation at IBS: January 8-12, 2019, Málaga, Spain
- A cover page that contains
- Dissertation title,
- Dissertation author,
- Name of the University at which the dissertation was awarded,
- Names and contact information for dissertation committee members,
- Date the dissertation was officially completed, or when it is anticipated to be completed.
- A 500-word synopsis of the PhD dissertation
- A 200-word statement that describes the significance of the dissertation research, its novelty, and why this work has the potential to be influential going forward
- A link to the dissertation chapters, whether they be published, submitted for publication or still in manuscript form
- The candidate’s Curriculum Vitae containing a list of publications and manuscripts in preparation, awards, and other academic experience
Guidelines for dissertation synopses
The synopsis should include a brief summary of the state of the field as well as the contributions provided by the candidate. Synopses should clearly articulate how the chapters (either published or unpublished) fit together and warrant attention as a single body of work, clearly listing those already published (including citation) and those yet to be published at the time of submission.
Judges will be asked to review the nominations based on the quality of the written synopsis, the originality of the dissertation work, and the potential of the dissertation and the nominee to make substantive contributions to Biogeography.
Documents should be submitted to email@example.com with the subject ‘2019 Dissertation Award’.
Questions? Contact us!